Tuesday 13 July 2010

Forgiveness



Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to do but it is also one of the most important lessons in the bible. Jesus took our sins on the cross so that we could be forgiven for them. Forgiveness means we do not hold a grudge against someone when they have wronged us. This is a lot easier said than done but it is always possible and from personal experience is the better option to take.

We all have those times in our lives when someone hurts us deep in our hearts and we feel left to die by them. So many times I've herd people come up to me and go "how can I forgive them when it hurts so much" or "I will never forgive them for what they have done". I've had them as well where I'm just shouting to sky in anger and all these different things run through my head about how I will get back what was taken away from me. A while ago I had people hurt me like no one had ever hurt me before. I couldn't believe it was them either because these were people I thought I could trust but I ended up getting stabbed in the back. I spent ages in absolute agony holding a grudge against these people who wronged me and saying that I will take back what is rightfully mine. However the bible tell us that we need to take a different approach to how we view people when they wrong us. How can we expect to be forgiven for our sins if we cannot forgive others. Matthew 6:14: "If you forgive others the wrongs they have done to you, your father in heaven will forgive you"

There is no point carrying around a grudge with us what good does it do us really? It makes us unhappy, angry and it has no effect on the person who wronged you. Studies have shown those who forgive live happier longer and healthier lives. It does not mean that we have to forget about what happened to us. We will look back at what happened to us and we will say that we did not deserve that to happen to us and its true we didn't. Even if the people who wrong do not appreciate your forgiveness I can promise you right now that God does. He knows what you did and is you and proud to call you his child.

Remember this people when you take vengeance you become even but when you forgive you become superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment